CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Friday, April 27, 2012

Enough already

Two weeks ago we had a big blowup between some of the volunteers and staff. You would think that after two weeks things would get back to normal, yes????  Well I guess someone or someones could not let things go and allow time to take its course. A meeting was called between a few staff members and the volunteers that strongly disagreed with how things were/are handled. After a big loud fight a couple that gave five months of volunteer work, always on time and loved by residents have been told there are not welcome to return next year.. Amazing this place has problems finding people to come and it tell some never to come back because of personal disagreements???? Best part was that everyone could here what was said ( including some of the residents ) so word has spread like wildfire. One comment I heard several times was " not surprised we seldom see people return as volunteers " ....

I am doing my best to stay out of this shit but I really like this couple and think this is unfair in so many ways...  Like since when is it necessary to agree with everything you are told, as long as you do the job??

From my point of view, I have now worked seven straight days without a day off. Scheduled to be off tomorrow and will not go near CARE... I have four weeks left if this stays like this to the end then I will not return next year as planed. The tension is more then it is worth as a non-paid worker....  This week I will work between 35-38 hours in six days, a volunteer should have more then one day every six to seven days off.. Do see the buddy of the boss has gotten this weekend off again ( three days in a row ) for the third weekend in a row..  Others have to fill in for him ( yes me too ) and it is not cool.. Tonight one person is working alone because the person that was to fill in for him has not shown up. ( I am hiding in my rig and will eat in the rig tonight.. )

Staying for the residents, but even that may not be enough to get me back next year..  Lets see how the next four weeks go...

3 comments:

Julia said...

I agree with "it has been enough already" and the tension and hard feelings along with the unfairness I don't blame you for not wanting to go back there again next year. It is very hard to deal with a situation like that especially when your net being paid your volunteering not enlisting in the Marines.
When I was there with the fifth wheel I went over there to check it out and they handed me a packet that wanted to know all kinds of personal information and to sign agreements to conditions and other stuff. They wanted way to much information, it was like I was going back into government service. I through the papers away after a while, just had a bad feeling about the place. I talked with some campers who voluntered for two weeks and they said they wouldn't do it again either, they never told me why. Now I know why.

Unknown said...

Only good part other then the residents, is that I eat free and only pay electric so saving money. Will see how the last four weeks go before I make my finale call or returning next year... I know I will not do it again if the hours do not go down...

Julia said...

Good luck with that happening ...ya never know.