CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thoughts about City of Rocks




City of The Rocks SP in New Mexico is a great place to visit for a short time. The pro’s to a visit to this park are the sunsets and walking trails. The trails go around the park and through it in a way that lets you see the rocks from all angles, and if you choose you are even allowed to climb on and around the rocks. Thing is that unless you get really lucky you have seen and photographed everything within the first 5 to 10 days. 




The park has a total of ten (10 ) developed sites, four (4) have electric, water, and sewer six (6) are water and electric only. Then there are about twenty other sites without any hook ups. The four with E/W/S are all in use by the camp hosts. First time I have seen four host sites used for a park this size. Three of the remaining six are by reservation only, so that only leaves three sites for someone just passing through. The thing is even if all ten sites are taken they are almost as many host as guest. I have been here for a week now and have seen two men and one women from the host out and about doing anything. Now the one thing I do not understand is why they is no dump site for anyone else in the park. When it comes time to dump my tanks I will have to go into town 30miles away, this will make for a 60 mile round trip when the time comes. Just hoping I will last until the half way point, at that time I will also restock on supplies before returning to my site. 
Another reason not to do an extended stay is the wind that sometimes comes up. Out of the first seven days I have stayed inside because of the wind three times. The last one had winds over 60MPH and had the roads leading in and out of the park closed. I sometimes felt like I was staying on a boat with the way everything was moving around. 
Next blog should be about a visit I am planning to Silver City NM in a few days time. Unless something of real interest happens I do not see any more about City of Rocks.....

No comments: