CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Only Titan 2 missel site not destroyed

I was running low on a few items such as drinks and soap so went into town this morning. As long as I was in town I topped off my gas tank using my FRY's VIP card and saved $0.10 a gallon. Had to do it before the first of Feb when all points zero out.  Also cashed my coins in at one of the coin counting machines for $32.76 used to get most of what I needed.

After shopping I figured as long as I was close I might as well visit the Titan Missile Museum, it is the only site that was deactivated an not blown up. Instead it was turned into the museum and has the training missile ( inactive warhead ). Sorry but for more information I suggest you go to the web site...

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

http://www.titan-ii.com/


I will not try to repeat what was said, more then likely I will get it wrong. Instead I will show photos and tell what I recall i the captions. What made it most interesting is that when I was in the Air Force I tried to get assigned to a site in AZ or AR, never going to happen was my answer. Who knows I might have stayed in had I been assigned to one. So today I guess I sort of fulfilled a long ago quest.

When the site was active none of the equipment seen here was out unless it was in use. 

The missile eng.. Web site does a better job of detail then I ever could




Top view of the missile, long way down...


Control room, looks like something out of an old movie.  Sad part is it also looks a lot like the computer I worked on in 1975.

Tour guide, he served on a site for four years so had first hand knowledge 

If you can read it, targets were programed by paper tape. 

Lights blinking showing simulated launch of missile

Forget the correct name for this long as underground tunnel.  It went from the control room to the missile silo.

Best I could do, to close for a full shot. 

Now just how dirty does one need to be before a shower becomes an emergency??

I would have added kiss A$$ goodbye 

Walls are 4ft thick doors are reinforced ...  Told site can withstand a force of 300 to 1000 pressure per sq inch. 


Might have been able to see some of this when site was active.

Now that is a hydraulic arm!!!!!

Photo taken for patch

That is a real jeep.. LOL...

Main item that could have been seen when driving past, during the active days of the site. 

So ends the tour.

No comments: