CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike












My crew-X was to take place Sept-8th, but due to hurricane Gustov chasing us around the gulf it delayed it a few days. Also part of the delay was due to not knowing about flights out of New Orleans, and if the oncoming crew could even get in. After all was said and done we made it off the boat September 10th, crew-X took place in Galveston. With one error in paperwork and another we did not get in until 10am, should have been in at 3am but Captain forgot to submit paperwork on time. Then because of hurricane Ike the oncoming crew had to be gone by noon of the sane day. All supplies had to be rescheduled for another day,

Once off the boat I thought I was safe from Ike, and soon to be on my way to Mexico for two weeks. Well Ike had other plans, my flight was canceled and I ended up riding out the hurricane in Livingston TX. We would have packed the RV and moved out except the weather channel we watched kept saying it would not be a hurricane by the time it reached us… WRONG!!!! It was still a Cat-1 when we got hit. To be honest I did not think the storm itself was a big deal, lots of wind and rain but I have seen a lot worse out on the boat.

The worst part of the storm in my opinion has been the loss of power. We do NOT have a generator so we are without power. If not for an inverter we would not even have a computer at this time. The computer battery is only good for two hours then it has to be recharged by taking it into the truck and plugging into the inverter that is plugged into the lighter.

We are also blocked in at both ends of the road by trees that were blown over, so we can not just pack up and move at this point. For now we are just going to sit it out and see what happens, do not expect to get power back anytime soon. Hoping Houston Airport will reopen soon and we can rebook the Mexico trip and get out of here.. If not then I would like to at least get out of this park and go North until we find a place that has power..

It seems that most of the down trees have missed any home or business for the most part. However they did not miss the power lines or polls, lines are down all over the place and it will take days if not weeks to get power back to anything close to normal. So being the spoiled American that I am I want to head out once the rain stops and find a place with power, and a coffee shop… Did I mention we did not stock up on food supplies, we thought we would be in MEXICO!!!! Whatever

No comments: