CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Returning to work



Well the time to go back to work has once again arrived. Step one is to drive to the airport intime to make my flight. It has been raining all day so the roads are wet and driving is just a bit slow. Left the house really early to give time to stop along the way to pick up last minute items and eat lunch. Drive went smoothly and arrived at the airport two hours before the flight was to depart.

The flights from Louisville to New Orleans went without problems. Called the hotel I was booked in for a pick up and find out it was already on the way to pickup others. Went out to the waiting area and sure enough here it comes. Problem was it was a van that could hold only about ten people and they were 18 of us.. I took one look around and decided I was not waiting for it to go to the hotel and back again, so jumped on with both bags. Put one bag on the floor between my legs and the other on my lap and I was ready to go.

Hotel check in was the easiest I have every seen it my company had a rep. sitting at a side table with all our keys so I skipped standing in line with the people from the other company and had my key within a few min. Told I was on the late morning Helicopter the next day so did not have to be down until 9am... Seeing that it was already 11pm I was happy to hear this.

The next morning I was down in the lobby at 7 am to go get breakfast and to my surprise found the first group just leaving, seems fog delayed the time of the first flight. Had a good breakfast at a Denny's just around the corner, and returned to the hotel to await my turn to start the final leg back to the boat.

The bus with the remaining 12 going to the boat left the hotel at 09:35 going to the heliport. Before getting on the helicopter we first had to sit through a safety brieafing reminding us of the correct way to board and what to do if something goes wrong. Takes about 30 minutes. Then we all walked out to the heliport taken our bags, we each put our own bags into the cargo hold then boarded the chopper.

The ride to the boat was about 1.5 hours long with one stop to fuel. This to me is the longest of all the flights because you have to wear hearing protecting because of the noise, this also makes it impossible to talk to anyone so you just sit and look at water, lots and lots of water.

Once we land on the first boat ( thats right more to come ) we go into the helicopter room exchange safety grear with the crew that is leaving and wait for our bags. All bags acounted for we go to the bridge for another safety meeting on how we are going to be transported to our boat. The boat I work on has a helicopter deck but it is not certified so we have to go over by small boat four at a time.

When my turn comes to go I head over my bags get in the boat, once all are on, the boat is lowered and off we go. To get on our boat first the small boat has to be hooked up and raised to a level that allows us to step right onto our home for the next five weeks.

No comments: