CARE Center Livingston Texas

CARE Center Livingston Texas
Wings of a butterfly

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What The 4th of July is to me



Do not get me wrong I love the USA, problem is I keep seeing our "leaders" taken more and more freedoms away from the average American. The new health care system is one example of what I mean. Why is it that our "leaders" who have passed the law are exempt to it. Why do I have to pay for health care I can not currently afford, and then get taxed for it??? How is this freedom????  I am 58 years old and could cry over things we have lost over the years.  Seems everything is to help the big corporations and or chain stores.

   Our "national forest and parks "  when I was in my teens up to my early 30's I used to drive into any park FREE find a place to camp and not worry about someone coming along and telling me I had to move. Now I have to find the office for that park, get a map that shows me the "allowed" areas I can go to and then only camp in a place that has already been used before.

    I served during the Nam conflict and when I was off base I was told not to be in uniform because the citizens of this country showed hate to anyone wearing the  uniform of this countries military. Today all military people are called heros. I find this nuts... Then yesterday I read an article thanking everyone who has served in the military in the last "ten" 10 years..  WTF about the men and women that served before that?? We still have living "HEROS" from WWII, Korea, NAM, and other conflicts. How about  those that served during peace time? Should we not also thank ALL the service folks that served starting from the birth of this country?


  As my friends know I have chosen to live the life of a road gypsy. What may not be known is my reason for this. To say it simply I am nervous   about the future of this country.  I fear my government
 in so many ways it is sad. We are told what we can say and what we can not say. It has become so bad that the web has created a sight that " claims" you are free to say what you want without censor. I do not trust that either... Everything you or I put on the web ( including this ) can be seen and used against the person posting. Even when doing a "personnel" blog such as this one must be careful of what is said.

  Things I miss.
1.- Small Mom and Pop stores that you get to know the people.
2.- Gas Stations that gave service instead of self serve.
       A. clean windshield, check oil and water, check tire pressure.
       B. Fill tank so you can stay dry when it is raining or just do not want too.
       C. To know you can get help fixing a flat or minor problem with you car.
3.- Not being worried about keeping your job.
       A. Was a time when a person felt safe and not concerned about being laid off.
4.- Being able to fill a gas tank and go on a road trip without spending 50% or more of your pay check
       A. Was a time when min wage was $2.25 an hour you could fill a tank for $5.00
       B.  Today min wage $7.50 cost $60.00 to fill same tank.

I guess that about sums up what I feel is the down side of this country. What are the up sides??? That I will sum up by saying... I love that I can still travel across the country seeing beautiful sights and meeting wonderful people. Over the last year and a half I have made friends and enjoyed things and places that in other countries someone of my class could never do.


   I love this country and the people in it, yes I am sad to see some things change but that is part of life. Every generation has found memories of how things where when young.

 At this point I hope with all my heart that something can be done to turn around the current direction of things so future generations do not have to worry about things..








 and we never have to fly the flag as shown below..




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem is the government, not the people. The federal government is hell bent on reaching fascism, and they are getting really close. Personally, I don't think there's much hope until a collapse occurs - then we'll have a chance to rebuild.

Julia said...

As you know we do not agree on a lot of things about the gov. and the new health care law. About the tax thing one only pays the tax if you refuse to purchase health care, if you can't afford it there will be help to make the purchase and you don't pay the tax.
As for some of the things you miss I miss too. I still don't understand why the congress decided that their friends should run the camps in the forests and parks don't they steal enough else where? Weren't these places supposed to be for the people? Not just well off people?

As for the uniform thing you KNOW how I feel about that and all that hero bullshit! I hadn't heard about the ten year thing WTF? In a way I think this Hero stuff is a way to bullshit the troops without compensating them as they truly are today a professional military force. The civilian contractors get paid a hell of a lot more money for doing a lot of things the military does. Of course they have "friends" in congress looking out for their contracts.

The new law allowing some military guy to pick up a U.S. citizen and hold them without trial because someone (who?) said they were a terrorist ! THIS could be the downfall of the country INMHO :)

But then again I've been wrong since I voted for Nixon so you cant believe what I say :(

Unknown said...

First I agree it is not the fault of the people, but the government. But who has elected the people that run the government, the people that is who.

As far as the new health care, you miss my point... If I do not want to pay for something I should not be forced into it, even with help. No maker how cheap, unless it is free I do not have the income to shell out money each month for something I do not use. I prefer to take the gamble, and yes I know it is a gamble that I do not have a major illness for the next 18 months. Then I can get medicare and SS. So I will have some income and then maybe can afford to get something extra.. My point is it should be my choice on what I do or do not..

Julia said...

So what your saying is that you don't want to pay even with help for health ins. and want to depend on the rest of us who do pay to take up the slack when you get sick and need care. This keeps the cost of care high for all of us. Except you!

As for the Fascism comment I think Dagny is a bit off when one looks up the definition of Fascism. The U.S. is far off from that although there are some folks in the U.S. who would enjoy some aspects of fascism.

Unknown said...

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I said a gamble... If I get sick I, me, myself will pay out of MY savings and 401k if need be.. I HAVE NEVER received a cent from the fed or state governments in any aid. Not when I was laid off work, not when I should have been able to get food stamps or anything else... I will not accept anything now until I turn 62 then will apply for everything I have EARNED. Or do you think that is also taken from the tax payers something I should not.... I have made it this far without the FEDS now just want to have them NOT dictate to me what I can and can not do at the end. Just a note.. technically I could have applied and received unemployment this year after Amazon but choose not to do so because I really do not need it at this time.

Julia said...

You do know that you won't qualify for Medicare until your 65 ? 62 is the earlist that you can collect Social Security.

Unknown said...

Yes, I know all that... also know I will be forced to carry the fed insurance, but at least then I will pay for it using the ss check and not my personal savings. I have read as much of the law as I can and know that in 2014 I have to have something or pay.. What gets me is the amount of the tax.. in 2016 it can be as high as $2,500 if you do not carry it.. Fell like I have a shotgun to my head..